Guitar Capos are not the most glamorous of accessories, but pack a lot of punch into a small item. If you’re not familiar with them, guitar capos make it possible to change the pitch of a song without transposing the chords and notes. The result, is that different songs can be played by guitar palyers of different skill levels. Some also like to avoid bar chords or more difficult finger placements, and technically a capo can do this. So if you’re looking to shop for this handy tool, then you should probably pick one from a list of the best guitar capos, so that you know you’re getting your moneys worth, and something that will be effective for your needs.
5 Best Guitar Capos Review Section
If you use a guitar capo, you probably know how important it is for getting your desired pitch. Most people who have used one type of capo, are not aware that there is a difference in quality of capos out there.
It is very important to have the best guitar capo especially if you are involved in public performances or you are in a band. A quality guitar capo will enable you to come up with a clear sound and apply the correct amount of pressure to the strings.
The problem with shopping for guitar capos is that there are so many of them in the market. Different brands come up with guitar capos that have different features and therefore different performance. It is very important to do adequate research to know what makes a guitar capo to be considered the best, and which brands you can rely on when you are in search for the best guitar capo.
We’ve done the heavy lifting. Check out our top 5 picks for the Best Guitar Capos out there.
Planet Waves NS-Guitar Capo is an amazing guitar capo that consumers rave about. There are several features included in this guitar capo that make it to be considered one of the best guitar capos. First and foremost, this guitar capo has a screw tension that is adjustable. The screw tension enables you to choose the amount of pressure you would like the guitar capo to exert on the guitar strings.
The aircraft grade on this capo is light, preventing disturbance of balance on your guitar when you are playing. Planet Waves capo also has amazing cushioning, which keeps it from wearing on the fret board and ensures there is no ringing or buzzing when you are playing.
The G7th-Perfromance capo is one that has managed to stand out from the rest in terms of design and performance. Generally, guitar capos are classified into two: the spring style and the quick release type. This capo is however I its own unique category. This guitar capo has a one hand clamp mechanism that makes the experience of playing a guitar even better.
The other thing that makes this guitar capo among the best guitar capos in the market is the fact that it has amazing cushioning. This is important because it prevents any dings to the guitar and also prevents your guitar from developing any scratches. It might be highly priced compared to other capos in the market but you can be assured you get more than you pay for, as it is backed by the company’s lifetime warranty.
Dunlop 83CB-Acoustic Trigger Capo has durable features including a quick release which makes it very easy to use.
It’s best feature is perhaps the array of colours it comes in, which gives you an opportunity to choose one that goes well with the colour of your guitar. One thing most people do not like about this guitar capo however is the fact that it can leave a slight mark the fret board of light coloured guitars. This is something you might have to consider before you decide to purchase the Dunlop 83CB-Acoustic Trigger Capo.
If you are looking for a guitar capo you can easily clamp and move around, the Kyser KG6B-6 String Capo is the best option for you. This is a guitar capo that is very common among musicians because it is very easy to operate. The capo also comes in a variety of colours to choose from. Last but not least, this guitar capo does not require and screwing or unscrewing, because it operates on a tight spring system.
There are several things that make the Shubb GC-30-Deluxe-Acoustic Guitar Capo a great option. It’s constructed out of stainless steel and custom made rubber that keeps your guitar in tune. It operates on an easy to use thumbscrew kind of mechanism which allows you to control the amount of pressure on your strings to achieve the best tone.
Benefits of Purchasing one of the Best Guitar Capos
There are a number of guitar capo options in the market today. In most cases, you will find that the price also differs from one capo to the other. This is probably because of the quality. Most people who have not had a lot of experience with using guitar capos will normally go for the cheaper capos because they assume they perform the same way as other capos do. This is however not the case. There are a number of benefits you get from a high quality capo that you do not get from a low quality one.
Here are some quick ways that a higher quality capo helps you.
- Scratch Prevention
- More Durable Materials
- Adjustable Screws and Pressures for quality tones
- Clear sound
- Prevent buzzing or ringing
How to Choose the Best Guitar Capo for You
Top things to look for when buying the best guitar capos:
- You need to take a lot of things into consideration before you decide which guitar capo would work best for you. First consider the ease of movement of the guitar capo. This is especially important if you plan on using the guitar capo for a public performance. A guitar capo that is easy to move makes it easy for you to move from one chord to another when you change songs.
- How gentle the capo is on your guitar? Keep away from guitar capos that have very sharp edges. This is because such guitar capos tend to form scratches on your guitar making it wear out. Therefore you need to ensure the inner part of the capo is lined with rubber or any other soft material that prevents its sharp edges from coming into direct contact with the surfaces of your guitar.
- When choosing a guitar capo, you will also need to ensure that it is easy to adjust. This is important because it allows you to control the amount of pressure that gets exerted on your guitar strings when you are using the capo. This not only allows you to come up with a perfect tone but also protects your guitar string from wearing out due to too much pressure being exerted on them. Normally, the best kind of guitar capo is one that has an adjustable screw which is easy to move up and down. With such a guitar capo, you do not have to worry about tension.
- Make sure that the guitar capo does not in any way affect how you play. This means you should look for a guitar capo that does not have side bars that are constructive to your playing. The importance of this is the fact that it gives you free movement when playing and makes you comfortable since there is nothing on your way. This is a feature you will in most cases only find in the best guitar capos in the market. It might help to have your guitar with you in order to test the capos out.
The Alternatives of Guitar Capos
If you are a beginner and you are not sure whether or not a guitar capo is what you need but would like to try something similar to decide or you simply want a cheaper alternative of a guitar capo, there is a solution. You can make a homemade guitar capo by using two simple tools: a pencil and a rubber band.
All you need to do is have the pencil across the fret board exactly where you want it and hold it in position using the rubber band by tying it on either side of the pencil and at the bottom of the board to secure it. This will give you a similar experience to a guitar capo. It might however not be as effective as an actual guitar capo.